VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System
Work Status for Employees
As of Monday, April 20, 2020 12:14 PM PDT
Director statement regarding reporting for duty:
To VA Staff:
The following information updates our current visitation policy across all of VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System's campuses during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Visitation remains prohibited with the exception of Veterans who are at the end of life (defined as having a prognosis of hours to short-term days)
- Each Veteran will be permitted a total of three visitors, with visitors to be selected by family when more than three loved ones are involved
- Visitors will be able to visit one or two persons at a time, as determined by nursing input
- No visitor may visit for longer than three hours in one visit
- Visits will be allowed each day until the Veteran’s passing
- If, after three days, a Veteran’s clinical condition stabilizes the clinical team will consider reverting to the standard no-visitation policy
- Visitors will continue to be screened with screening questions and with temperature check. No visitor will be permitted to enter the facility if symptomatic
- All visitors will be provided with a mask and will be required to perform hand hygiene when entering the facility
- Visitors will be directed to the Veteran’s room and will not be permitted in other areas of the facility
- Upon a Veteran’s death, the same designated visitors may come to unit to say goodbye if they are able to safely arrive within two hours of notification. After-death visit will be shorter, no more than one hour total for all visitors, to allow for appropriate post-mortem care and removal of Veteran’s remains from the unit
- Veterans will only be allowed to have an escort, if the escort is critical to the care of the Veteran. The escort will be allowed to enter our care facilities after passing a brief screening
- Vendors and delivery personnel will be allowed access to our care facilities, after passing a brief screening, if the delivery is required for patient care needs
- Veterans or staff who do not have business at our care facilities will be asked to leave the premises. This is being done to increase social distancing in our healthcare system
Thank you for your understanding.
During a VA-declared emergency:
VA Employees should return to this page for updates. For more information about this emergency, go to our main Emergency Information page.