VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System celebrates National Veterans and Military Families Month
November 1, 2018
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System celebrates National Veterans and Military Families Month 2018 with events honoring Veterans and their families
November 1, 2018 — Today President Donald Trump declared November 2018 the second annual National Veterans and Military Families Month to "salute the brave and dedicated patriots who have worn the uniform of the United States, and…celebrate the extraordinary military families whose selfless service and sacrifice make our military the finest in the world."
Beginning in 2017, President Trump proclaimed November Veterans and Military Families Month, marking the first time America celebrated Veterans and military families for the entire month and not just on Veterans Day, in keeping with the President’s strong focus on improving care and benefits to our nation’s heroes.
That tradition continues again this year with more than 300 events at VA hospitals, benefits offices and cemeteries across the country, including:
- senior leader visits to VA facilities
- open houses
- town halls
- benefits claims clinics
- volunteer recognitions
- homeless Veteran initiative events
- suicide prevention events
- faith-based community events
- flag planting tributes at national cemeteries
To celebrate Veterans and Military Families Month locally, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System (VAGLAHS) will hold the following events honoring Veterans and their families throughout the month of November:
- Friday, November 2nd -West Los Angeles Campus, Pre- Veterans Day BBQ @ 11:00am– Orlando Quad Picnic Area (located between B217 & B214) 11301 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles CA, 90073
- Monday, November 5th - San Luis Obispo Community Based Outpatient Clinic, Pre -Veterans Day Gift Distribution @ 10:00am– 1288 Morro Street, Ste 200, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
- Tuesday, November 6th - Santa Maria Community Based Outpatient Clinic, Pre -Veterans Day BBQ @ 11:30am – 1550 E Main Street, Santa Maria CA 93454
- Wednesday, November 7th - West Los Angeles Campus, Pre -Veterans Day Celebration @ 11:30am Orlando Quad Picnic Area (located between B217 & B214) 11301 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles CA, 90073
- Thursday, November 8th - Santa Barbara Community Based Outpatient Clinic, Pre-Vets Day Gift Distribution @ 10:00am- 4440 Calle Real, Santa Barbara, CA 93110
- Sepulveda Ambulatory Care Center, Pre-Veterans Day Festivities & Entertainment @ 11:30am – 16111 Plummer Street, North Hills CA 91343
- West Los Angeles Fisher House Veterans Day B-B-Q @ 12:00pm - 11301 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90073 -B523
- Friday, November 9th - Los Angeles Ambulatory Care Center Pre -Veterans Day Luncheon @ 11:00am - 351 East Temple Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012
- Bakersfield Community Based Outpatient Clinic, Pre-Veterans Day Breakfast @ 8:30am -1801 Westwind Drive, Bakersfield CA, 93301
- Saturday, November 10th - South Los Angeles Veterans Block Party @ 12:00pm – 3100 S. San Pedro Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012
- Sunday, November 11th – (100th Anniversary of WWI / Veterans Day)- West Los Angeles Campus – A Day of Service at the Domiciliary, followed by food fun and entertainment, beginning @ 7:00am- 11301 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90073
This year’s celebration of Veterans and Military Families Month caps an unprecedented period of improvement for VA, as the department has made groundbreaking progress over the last two years in the areas of accountability, transparency and efficiency across the department while enjoying an important series of legislative successes.
"At VA, Veterans and their families are at the center of everything we do. Veterans and Military Families Month is an opportunity for us to honor the service of these patriots while educating communities about VA benefits and services and our commitment to customer service improvement," VA Secretary Robert Wilkie said.
"VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System appreciates and thanks the Veterans we serve for allowing us to be their health care provider. We are grateful for the opportunity to show our deep appreciation for their service and sacrifices," said Ann Brown VAGLAHS Director.
The full list of national events for Veterans and Military Families month is available at this link.
# # #
ABOUT VAGLAHS: VAGLAHS is one component of the VA Desert Pacific Healthcare Network (VISN22) offering services to Veterans residing in Southern California. VAGLAHS consists of three ambulatory care centers, a tertiary care facility and 10 community-based outpatient clinics. VAGLAHS serves Veterans residing throughout five counties: Los Angeles, Ventura, Kern, Santa Barbara, and San Luis Obispo. There are about 1.4 million Veterans in the VAGLAHS service area. For more information, call (310) 478-3711 or visit us at www.losangeles.va.gov. Veterans in need can call the VA hotline toll-free at 877-4-AID-VET.