VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System
VLER (Virtual Lifetime Electronic Record)
Do You See a Non-VA Health Care Provider?
"Connect Your Docs” through the Virtual Lifetime Electronic Record (VLER) and the Veterans Health Information Exchange (VHIE) program. This program gives VA and community health care providers secure access to certain parts of your electronic health record. This access reduces the need for Veterans and their families to request and carry paper medical records from one health care provider to another. It also provides other potential benefits to Veterans and their providers. This program is free and voluntary for Veterans!
How might connecting my docs benefit me?
Many Veterans receive a portion of their care from non-VA health care providers. Sharing certain parts of your Electronic Health Record (EHR) will help reduce the need for patients and families to carry records between health care providers as well as allow your non-VA health care provider to make more informed decisions about your care. In an emergency, immediate access to additional health care information could save your life.
How do I join?
Signing up is fast and easy. You may sign up in person, through the mail, by fax, or online.
PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL COMPLETED FORMS BACK TO THE VAMC
What if I decide not to join?
Participation is entirely voluntary. Deciding not to participate will not affect your VA Health benefits or your relationship with your doctor and/or the VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System
Frequently Asked Questions
What is VLER Health?
The VLER Health Program allows VA and non-VA health care providers to share Veteran health information electronically and securely through VLER Health Exchange and VLER Health Direct (VA Direct)
What is VLER Health Exchange?
VLER Health Exchange is a secure private network that “Connects Your Docs” by allowing VA and non-VA health providers to share a Veteran’s health summary information. To learn more visit www.va.gov/VLER/vler-health-exchange.asp.
Can anyone participate in VLER Health Exchange?
Any Veteran who receives care at a VA facility can complete an authorization form to participate in VLER Health Exchange. This program is free and completely voluntary.
Why should I participate in VLER Health Exchange?
Allowing your VA and non-VA health care providers to electronically share your health information saves time and gives your providers a better picture of your history and overall health. Rather than mailing or carrying printed health information from one provider to another, which may take days or weeks, you can give your providers immediate access to your health information electronically. This information helps your providers make more informed decisions, which improves the overall quality of your health care.
What health information will my providers share through VLER Health Exchange?
Through VLER Health Exchange, providers share information on your allergies and health problems, medications, and more.
Can I pick and choose the health information I want to share outside VA?
No, not at this time.
How do I sign up for VLER Health Exchange?
Below is an expanded version of the steps to authorize VA to share your records:
- Go to www.ebenefits.va.gov/.
- Click “Log in” in the upper right hand corner.
- Enter your DS Logon username and password and click “ Login.”
- Click “ Manage Health.”
- Scroll to the Health Records row and click “ VA Health Record Sharing.”
- Click “ Manage My Authorizations and Preferences” on the “Welcome to VLER Health, Manage My Authorizations and Preferences” page.
- If you have not previously authorized or your authorization has expired, you should see “You have not currently authorized the release of your protected health information to non-VA health care providers.”
Click “ Start Authorization” on the “Authorize Access to Your Health Records” page to start the authorization process.
- Read the “Agreement to Terms & Conditions.” If you accept the terms and conditions, click “ Yes” – (Note: you must click “Yes” to continue).
- On the Request for and Authorization to Release Protected Health Information to eHealth Exchange page, scroll down and click: “Save and Continue” .
- In the To submit your authorization, check the box and select sign window, “ check the box” and click “ Sign” .
- The DS Logon page will reappear for you. Enter your DS Logon username and password and click “ Reauthenticate.” This next step may take a couple of minutes to process.
- When successful in authorizing for the sharing of your health information, the following message will appear): “VA will share your electronic health information immediately upon request through the eHealth Exchange based on your authorization.”
Through My HealtheVet
Log into your My HealtheVet account using DS Logon Premium (Username/Password). If you don't have a My HealtheVet account, go to the My HealtheVet website and register today.
- Log on to: https://access.va.gov/accessva/
- Select the My HealtheVet button
- Scroll down and select the Login with DS Logon button
- Review the terms and condition on the Secure Direct page and select Continue
- Enter your DS Logon Premium (Username/Password) and select Login
- You will be directed to your My HealtheVet account
- Select the Personal Information tab
- The Connect Your Docs box will display on the right.
- Select the select manage authorizations link
- Select Manage my Authorizations
- Select Start Authorization
- Review the terms and conditions and select Yes, to Continue
- Review the information on the screen and select Save and Continue
- Check the box and select Sign
- Re-enter your DS Logon Premium Username/Password and select Reauthenticate
- When the message in the green box appears you may View/Print your signed form
- Select the Close button at the top right to return to your My HealtheVet account
If I grant permission to share my health information, do I ever have to do it again?
Your signed authorization form is valid for five years.
Can I change my mind about sharing my health information after I have signed an authorization form?
There are three ways to “Stop Sharing”. Visit your local VA medical center’s Release of Information Office and ask for a “stop sharing” form (VA Form 10-0484) or call the toll-free VLER Health Information line at 1-877-771-VLER (8537) to request a “stop sharing” form.
You can also go online to opt out by following the steps below.
- Log into https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/
- Click Manage Health
- Scroll down the page and click VA Health Record Sharing
- Click Manage My Authorizations and Preferences
- Click Revoke Authorization
What if I decide not to join?
Participation in VLER Health Exchange is entirely voluntary. If you decide not to join, we will not share your health information with your non-VA health care providers over the eHealth Exchange. This will not affect your benefits or your relationship with your VA providers or the VA health system.
How do I know my information will remain private?
VLER Health Exchange is secure and private. VA takes privacy seriously. As such, your health information is only shared between your VA health care team and your participating non-VA health care providers. These non-VA health care providers have partnership agreements with VA and are part of VA’s approved trust network.
Where can I get more information about VLER Health?
For more information, call the toll-free VLER Health Information line at 1-877-771-VLER (8537), Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. CST.
About Virtual Lifetime Electronic Record (VLER)
A pilot program for secure record sharing that insures consistency of medical care while saving veterans time and money.
How to Sign Up with “Connect Your Docs"
This video with step by step instructions on how Veterans can provide authorization electronically, by mail, or in person for VLER Health Exchange.
How VA Direct Works
This video that describes the functionality and benefits of VA Direct